03 June 2010

No news is good news!

I haven't posted in a while.  This is not in any sort of attempt to create the world's least interesting blog or because I have given up, I really don't have much to say and don't wish to bore anyone.  No news is good news here.   I've had to re-assure my parents of this several times.  I do have two blog-worthy projects I am working on.  


This half-cycle has been OK.  I've been fairly tired: maybe not quite much as others.  This time the tired just dragged out a little more - I didn't need to go to bed right after work the week of chemo, but I was still recovering even into the holiday weekend.   


So, what did we do for our holiday weekend?   Not much.  Travel is still sort of out for us, camping is unclean enough that I don't want to do it while neutropenic, so it was another weekend mostly around the house.   Sarah planted some flowers.  We washed the cars.  We went on two very mild bike rides, watched some baseball, and mostly tried to recover.


I feel pretty good this week, though.  Getting excited to move on past chemo in another month or so, but not really looking forward to radiation.  We're trying to think about where we may like to visit assuming all the rest of this goes to plan.  Rather than somewhere new, though, we're really thinking we'd like to get back to Wisconsin and South Carolina.  We'll possibly do something more adventurous down the road, but more and more I've been daydreaming about relaxing on Folly, and maybe getting some Frogmore Stew.


What else?  Sarah let me buy a new bike.  I'd been saving for awhile, but the purchase even surprised me a little.  Since I cannot enjoy the kind of road rides I'm used to, I decided to try my hand at mountain biking a little.  I figured I'd try to maybe develop some skills there and just sort of have a good time rather than do any goal setting or anything like that.  As such, the one rule I made for myself is no computers on the bike.  Maybe next year, but for now I'm not tracking a single mile.  I ride until I'm out of energy, out of time/daylight, or I've had my fill of fun.  


I've been riding with Sarah as well, and she's been riding with two different clubs.  So, putting a happy face on it, I'd say that cancer has presented me with the "opportunity" to have a couple different kinds of fun than I am used to for biking.  Deep down, though, I'm hoping that as I get out more and more now and ride (with the relative anemia or whatever), that possibly I come back as some sort of fit monster.  Unlikely, of course.  I'm pretty sure I'll have to make it all up with extra intervals and trainer time this winter, which is OK too.  It certainly beats this past winter by a longshot.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a nice bike! You guys are still welcome to spend a few days at the condo in Frisco.
    We will be there for 2 weeks the beginning of August.
    I think July is pretty much open if you guys want to spend a few days there then.
    I am going to finally contribute to your friend's ride in July. I didn't forget was just waiting for it to be closer to the event.

    Sara

    ReplyDelete