20 June 2010

A mini FAQ update

Can a blog have an FAQ update without actually having an FAQ?   This one can.  Whether or not it should is another question, but one we will not be tackling tonight.


The number one question I've gotten lately pertains to how much I'm looking forward to tomorrow's chemotherapy session.   So, to do this right:  Q: How much are you looking forward to your last chemotherapy session?


A: Not as much as you'd expect.  Of course I am excited to be done, but it is still chemotherapy and I'm very much dreading it, as I have any of the last few.  The day likely won't be so bad, but I'm not looking forward to one more round of fatigue, mouth sores, and weird hunger and food cravings.  As always, just when I'm really starting to feel good, I'll get a serious knockdown tomorrow.  Sub-Q: What's that like?


Sub-A: 


There's a bigger picture aspect to this as well:  I'm a little bit afraid of the unknown.  For the past 6 months I've been on a very well defined treatment plan.  I'll have a little break, and then some radiation, but after that, then what?   The "r-word 1" (remission) has not even been used yet, and I'm already worried about "r-word 2" (relapse).


Q: Are you going to celebrate after tomorrow's session?


A: I'd sure like to, but chances are very good I'll be in my typical post-chemotherapy haze which involves being mildly dizzy, sort of tired, sort of thirsty yet constantly having to urinate from all the IV fluid, and a general stunned sensation.   We'll probably get some marginally unhealthy take-out, watch TV and I'll crawl into bed.   Keep your eyes on the blog for other celebrations coming up, however.


Q: What is your next step?


A: I'm hoping to find out tomorrow.  I'll have a P.E.T.-planning scan.  This is where they decide exactly where to "zap" me with radiation.  Looks like radiation will be at some point mid-July or so.  It'll be about 12 days:  5 days / week for 2 weeks (no weekends), and then 2 more days.


Q: Can you work during radiation?


A: I'm told, by my radiation oncologist, that I can indeed work during that time.  I'm also told I'll be more tired, but that this is better than chemotherapy.  (Thank goodness).  


Q:  Are you guys going to travel and take time off?


A: Yes.  All in due time, though.


Q: Will you live to see the Milwaukee Brewers win a World Series?


A: I asked the Magic 8 ball and got the following:
Not just "no."  However, I came to the conclusion all the way back in high school, that I could live to the full United States male life expectancy of 76-78 years, and I likely would never see the Milwaukee Brewers win a World Series.  Thankfully, Wisconsin is also home to the (12-time world champion) Green Bay Packers, although it is not the same.

More after tomorrow's session.  

No comments:

Post a Comment