08 June 2010

Chemo 11 of 12: Odd this time

Chemotherapy yesterday went OK, but it was sort of odd.   I guess none have perfectly mimicked others, but this one especially so.


I had a 1:45 appointment with the oncologist but our goal was to get there at around noon for the blood draw just in case my port was clotted (again).   It was not and all went well.  Sarah and I had a small lunch at Quiznos (we split a "take 2:" she had a small salad, I had a small flatbread sandwich) before heading back.


Our meeting with the oncologist was busy.  I did have my typical physical exam, heart and lungs sounded "great" and of course the lymph nodes were still gone, so she was pleased.  Most of the meeting was planning for radiation and getting the port out.   After that was chemo.   During chemo, my nose was especially sensitive as I had to smell the disinfectant, the heparin, the alcohol pads, etc.   Worse, I had filled my bottle with ice water from home, and our ice smells terrible to me.   (Sarah cannot smell it at all).  It is OK in anything with flavor, but not water so I asked Sarah to get me some clean ice and water from the oncology water machine, which was luckily lacking in odor.


Because we had started late, we finished late.  We had a dinner of wraps and watched a shark show on TV, and then I went to bed around 8:30 or so.   It was pretty hot up in our bedroom, and I didn't sleep well.  In fact, I kept going downstairs for more water.  Around 3am, I gave up and grabbed my pillow to head down to the cool and dark basement to sleep.  I grabbed an old sleeping bag and set up on the futon, after cranking up the A/C another 4 degrees.   I did not sleep well at all, but at least I wasn't feeling fever-ish.   I never did get my temperature, but I didn't feel sick, just sort of hot.   The basement was much better and I got some sleep.


Around 8am, I was up and could not force myself back to sleep.  So, I laid there and watched a show about Mount Everest.   (Lately I've been sort of on an Everest kick for TV and books, and I'm not sure why).   In any case, I was finally up around 9:30am, although in my typical chemo fog where I wander aimlessly around the house.


It is now 1:20 and I've seemed to rebound a little bit.  I probably won't do much of anything today, but that is finally typical for a Tuesday after chemo.


So, not a very exciting blog today, but I do promise I have a few potentially more interesting ones cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment