02 February 2010

"Welcome to club bald. I believe you're in good company around here."

I got a very special haircut today, courtesy of Sarah and a brand new Wahl Home Haircutting Kit.   I was told that my hair would begin to fall out in about 2.5 or 3 weeks.  Today is just over 2 weeks.  Like many others, I decided to take a preemptive strike at the hair.  I really, really didn't want it to fall out in patchy clumps (it apparently usually does), and I didn't want to find it in my hands, shower, pillow, or hats.   


I had told some of my cycling buddies about this, expecting (and needing) little sympathy.  In fact, 3 of them already have this haircut and one told me: "Welcome to club bald.  I believe you're in good company here."  This was the best thing he could have said.   


Besides, I like a short haircut and I was about a week overdue anyway.  No sense in paying for a haircut only to shave it another week or so later.   It was bad enough buying the home haircutting kit.   On the other hand, maybe I'll use it again some day.  Maybe I'll decide bald is for me.  It works for Donald Driver, Michael Jordan, Prince FielderG. Gordon Liddy, James Carville, Sean Connery, Homer Simpson, and of course, who can forget Vincent Price (a.k.a. "Egghead").


Before I get to the bald pictures, I should share the gift that Ann and Brandon brought over for me when we had dinner on Saturday night.   The first time I saw the movie Napoleon Dynamite was with them a few years back.  I think the four of us laughed nearly the entire movie.  Here is Napoleon's best friend, Pedro:


Here is Josh playing the part of Pedro Sanchez, earlier today.
I guess I didn't get the stare quite right, but it was the best I could do.    Technically, this little outfit would be dress code compliant at work, although I will not be trying it.  Anyway, here is newly bald Josh.


I definitely don't have this guy's smile,


or this guy's style,





but I think I pull it off better than Britney Spears.  If only I could catch touchdown passes in the NFL or win the TdF.


It isn't too bad at all.  Since I'm not quite "cue ball" yet, my hair is sort of like velcro in a beanie.  My ballcaps also fit just a little bit more loosely as well, although the same velcro sensation keeps them right in place.   Just another day in the life of my cancerous adventure.  Far, far from the worst one, that's for sure.

3 comments:

  1. Dude,
    You nailed the Pedro pic - that's awesome. I love that movie. Glad you're feeling alright. Keep up the good fight buddy - the isle of Republica is counting on you!
    -Marv

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh--you look great! You are an amazing example with this blog...bless you :o) Jim is getting a touch up hair cut tomorrow...he has grown to love his short cut and not sure he will ever return to "having hair"....will have to see. Hugs to you both...Carla

    ReplyDelete
  3. :clapping: @ Pedro pic. Don't forget to add :woolebull: to list of cool bald dudes. I'm ready to go this route if Donna starts to lose her hair due to the radiation treatments. Great update & keep on keepin' on.

    ReplyDelete