13 February 2010

An abnormal return to normal

Today:  A story you may enjoy and one that made me feel a little bit back to normal....(warning, slightly gross)


Last night I ended up reading about 6 consecutive articles from a baseball magazine right before bed because Sarah was watching the Olympic Opening Ceremony and I didn't feel like watching that.  So, I went to bed thinking about baseball, I actually had a baseball dream, and when I woke up at 7:30am, I was still thinking about baseball.  I didn't want to get up, but apparently my tossing about was enough for Sarah to tell me to get up.


So, I got both of the dogs and went downstairs.   I let the dogs out uneventfully.  My hope was to read some more of my magazine, watch the dogs, and watch some MLB network.   So, I turned on the TV and sat down on the couch.  After about 20 minutes of MLB "Hot Stove," I let the dogs out again, since they wanted out, and I wasn't sure if Lucy was done with her business.


She wasn't.  She went #2 right in the middle of our yard.  Meanwhile, today it was more Cookie who was the agitator, and he wanted to rile her up.   In the short time it took me to go from the top of the steps of our deck, to our kitchen table to get a baggie, and back (roughly 12 ft round trip), they were going at it chasing each other.  It was mostly Cookie chasing Lucy.  By the time I got to Lucy's pile, I noticed it was not the normal, formed stuff.   Great.   I picked it up.


By the time I got back to our concrete pad at the base of the deck steps, I saw more of Lucy's pile, spread into the concrete.  So, now my mystery was which dog did it.  Hopefully not both.  It no time I found out  it was Cookie; when I picked him up he kicked me with his paw and now I had the poop smeared on my hoodie.  So, I picked him up and took him to the kitchen sick and washed off his paws with soap and water.  He managed to get it on 1 front AND 1 back paw.   After that, I carried him up to his cage and put him in there without his blankets.  Meanwhile, Lucy was still on the deck, and I absolutely HATE leaving the dogs outside alone - even for 1 minute - because of the local wildlife.   So, I raced back down to the deck to see if Lucy had any poo on her paws.  (She didn't).  So, I busied myself pouring hot water on the deck spot (and scrubbing it with a rock), and the smeared spot in the grass.  I then dropped the hoodie in the washer.


Finally, I left Lucy in our family room and headed back up to Cookie.   I'm making a lot of noise I'm sure, but somehow, Sarah never even came to see what was up.  When I got to our bedroom to scoop Cookie back up, she was still sleeping!   So, I took him to the other bathroom for a bath.  I had no idea if he had more on him, since when they chase, they can actually tackle each other into the grass.   So, I gave Cookie a bath, and he did great.  It was the first time in years I'd given him a bath, since Sarah usually does it.   In South Carolina, I used to put my swim trunks on and just jump in the tub with the dog, so I could wrestle them around to get them clean.  I maybe should have done that here with as wet as I got.   Cookie was done, and he wasn't really happy with me, but he was a lot cleaner.


Then it was Lucy's turn.  I wish I could've gotten a picture of the whole scene, since I bet it was funny, but I was too wet for the camera.  The only problem I had bathing Lucy was that she kept trying to lick the shampoo, and I was worried about what that might do to her GI tract.   She was done quickly, though, due to her short coat.   When we were done, I dried her off, and we went downstairs.   


What I had anticipated was going to be a lazy morning shaped up to be a very busy one.  However, the dogs did mellow out fast after their baths, and we settled down to watch some "Night at the Museum" on TV.  Finally, around 10am, Sarah came down stairs.  She had asked what I did all morning.   I was shocked.  "You didn't hear me bathing the dogs?"  "No, I had earplugs.  You bathed the dogs?"   She didn't even believe it until she smelled Cookie.  Amazing.  


Lucy and I finished up our movie and then Sarah went to the gym.   I don't have a picture of any of that, but I do have one from our walk so you can see how big she has gotten.  She was 30lbs on Monday at the vet.  Which is a little surprising because she doesn't like to eat.  She ate all her breakfast today, though.  Must have been all the excitement.




1 comment:

  1. It must be dream week. In my dream I bought the part to fix our broken toilet :D
    Erik made my dream come true, he fixed the (spare) toilet.
    In the fecal pet vein- we cleaned up after the bunnies and chicken at the 4H petting zoo at the nursing home. The residents (& I) really enjoyed petting the bunnies, guinea pigs & the chicken. Andrew was ready to go home after the bunny peed on him.
    Happy one fun thing- my fun thing was dancing at the Zombie Prom, Erik's fun thing was staying home :D
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete