16 February 2010

Chemotherapy (3 of 12): 1.5 of 6 cycles done

Yesterday was Chemotherapy 3 of 12.  My appointment was late, which I was initially excited for, since you have to get there 1 hour early for labs, and if your chemo starts at 8:30am , you're there at 7:30 am for labs.  I thought a little extra time would be great.  I also had an appointment with the oncologist at 1pm, and it was to be my 2nd since the initial visit.


As it turns out, though, the oncologist was sick, so I just had chemotherapy at 1:30, and it took until about 6pm.  My counts were OK, but I am definitely neutropenic right now with an ANC of 0.3.   Given that, I appreciate not being exposed to anyone sick, and my instructions continue to be avoiding the sick, lots of handwashing, etc.


The chemotherapy treatment went as usual.  I had my IV placed up my forearm, and in my left arm again.  I expect a dull left arm ache in about a week, and I think next time I'll do my right arm, so I can maintain a 2:1 or 3:1 ratio of left to right.  I don't really want much right arm pain since I write and eat with that arm.


As noted, we didn't get out until 6, so it makes for a long day.  I was hoping to enjoy the morning, but I honestly have no idea where it went.  Usually we pack up the night before, so maybe scrambling didn't help.


Given my complaints about sleep, I was given some ambien, and I definitely fell asleep fast yesterday having tried it.  Another nice thing from yesterday was no lower GI issues, although I have the usual nausea today.  I did get nausea DURING the treatment, and Sarah went out for ginger ale and some rice cracker snacks, which seemed to help.    I've still had no vomiting, which really surprises me.  


Today I woke up extremely tired.  I was tired and sort of dizzy -in the sense I had no sure footing.  I was very thirsty as well.  I guess that was true even last night before the ambien.  I cannot explain that, but I felt "stunned" most of the day.  So, this morning was another blur.  I spent much of the morning on the couch watching a movie, and then also spent some time on the computer.   I obviously didn't work, and I don't think I could safely drive this morning.  Borderline even now, but I'm sure I'll be back by tomorrow.


Nausea continues, as does hunger.  I've gained a few pounds so far.  It'd be nice to not do that, though.  The trick for us will be to eat healthier.   I'm also considering a bowflex to try to maintain a little strength.  Unsure if this is a good idea or not, so, I'll ask the oncologist when I have my to-be-determined make up appointment.   I suspect, however, that going to the gym is  a bad idea.


Other than that - 3 down, 9 to go.   In a weird way, I spent the whole two weeks looking forward to "chemo Monday."  Why?  I have no idea.  I hate it.  Chemo Monday is a big time drag.  I hate the Tuesday that follows.  At the same time, I guess I just can't wait to be done.  So, not that I'm big on wishing time away, but I guess in this case I am a little.  Which is curious for a cancer patient, I suppose.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there man. Sending good vibes your way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you were/are excited for said "Chemo-Monday" because you are thinking it's one more down.

    Also, going to the gym would be bad, considering your ANC at 0.3...yeouch!

    Stay well man, I'm reading your posts diligently.

    ReplyDelete