20 February 2010

Pitchers and Catchers Report

People ask me what I do in the winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.
—Rogers Hornsby



I don't really do that.  I do, however, spend much of winter eagerly awaiting baseball.  Football and hockey are a lot of fun, but there is nothing quite like baseball.  Baseball is good for the soul, and there is nothing like it to signal spring.  I love the smell of the ballpark.   Today is a cold and snowy Colorado day, but in Florida and Arizona there is sunshine, green grass, and the vibrant colors of even the most hated rival teams.  There is the pop of a fastball in a catcher's mitt, and the crack of a connecting bat.  You don't have to be Walt Whitman to wax poetic about our National Pastime.


Today is the day Pitchers and Catchers report to Spring Training, at least for the Milwaukee Brewers.  Other clubs have been reporting this past week, and some this weekend.  It is finally here.  In truth, though, many players are already down at their respective spring training camps getting in shape for a month of, well, getting in shape for the season.  I was glad to see that Brewer prospect Mat Gamel, who was considered "late" for arriving on time last Spring, is already down at camp working on defense.


Why is Spring Training so important to fans like myself?   If you are a fan of the smallest market team in baseball, there is simply no way that year in and year out, your team can compete with the resources of the New York Yankees or the Boston Red Sox, for example.  Still, in Spring, your team has not been mathematically eliminated by early-August.  In Spring, your team still has the possibility of going on a tear like the 2007 Rockies or the 2008 Rays.  In Spring, your team isn't dealing with nagging injuries or a 5-game losing streak.  In Spring, hope springs eternal.   Even the worst can dream of playoffs.


So, I spend all winter looking forward to baseball, but this is the second year in a row I cannot attend Spring Training in Maryvale (Phoenix), Arizona, home of my beloved Milwaukee Brewers.  While I was not outright forbidden by my oncologist, I was given the impression it was not the best idea.  Besides my neutropenia, I'd have a plane ride to deal with, and the lack of a recommended physician / care center in case of emergency.  So, I'll have to rely on news reports and perhaps make due with some Spring baseball with the local college in town, which is already underway.  


 So, today's blog is totally dedicated to baseball.   Cancer can wait.


My random thoughts on the Milwaukee Brewers:   I really hope this new pitching coach, Rick Peterson, can get the staff in order, they were among the worst in the league last year.  I am really not crazy about these rumors to trade Prince Fielder, although as a fan of the smallest market team, I certainly understand it.  It seems like a way to guarantee that Ryan Braun never sees another decent pitch, so, they better get some serious value in return.  I love the fact that the Brewers are using a jersey with the word "Milwaukee" across it.  Call me a purist, but I think that home jerseys should have the team name, and the away jerseys should have the city name.   What I'd really like is a return to the 80s uniforms of the Crew, but I'll take this, even as an "alternate 3rd jersey."


I also love the fact that I finally found myself a St. Patrick's Day hat.  I have regretted not purchasing one in Maryvale a few years back.   Yes, it is gimmicky.  Yes, all of MLB has stolen it from Boston.  Yes, I'll only wear it a few days out of the year.  Still, I've wanted one for several years, so, add up those days, plus the fact that I'm now bald and could use (along with the Brewers) a little "luck of the Irish" and I'll take it.  I ordered it immediately upon finding it.  


Where do I think Milwaukee will finish?  I think they'll improve on last year, but they are unlikely to compete for a playoff spot.  There is too much talent elsewhere, despite a lack of improvement in most NL-Central teams.   I think the NL-West has at least three possible playoff teams, and since only two can possibly come from that division, it'll likely leave Milwaukee out again, as the Cards probably pick up the NL Central.  Again.


On the plus side, I am an avid, enthusiastic Cubs-hater, and this story warmed my heart.  Good.  I hate the scrubbies.   I'm sad the bill went through, but I am sure glad to see all who opposed it.  It would be kind of sweet to see the Scrubs go to Florida.


Since moving to Colorado, I've sort of adopted the Rockies as my "second team."  In other words, I cheer for them when they aren't playing Milwaukee.  Some purists believe you cannot have more than one team, but I disagree.  I love the game itself, and can watch even when it is not Milwaukee or Colorado playing.  There are a variety of teams I quietly root for after Milwaukee and Colorado and for a variety of reasons.  I cheer for anyone playing the Chicago Cubs, for instance.  I also cheer for teams where I may just like a particular player.   This even includes a bunch of minor league teams, especially the Charleston Riverdogs, the Albuquerque Isotopes, and the Colorado Springs Sky Sox.


My random thoughts on the Colorado Rockies:  I think they'll be a good team.  My personal opinion is that they are currently the class of the NL-West.  I'm not certain if San Francisco has improved or not, and the Dodgers still have many pieces from their 95-win team of last year, but after hiring Jim Tracy, the Rox were on fire for the rest of the season.   They lost one good pitcher (Marquis) but got one back (Jeff Francis).  They subtracted Garrett Atkins, but, he was on his way out most of last year anyway.   I have pretty high expectations for the Rockies.  Higher, in fact, than I do for the Brewers.  Plain and simple, Colorado has done great things with their farm system, including the above mentioned Sky Sox.   Coors Field is a great place to watch a game and relax.   I cannot wait.


Fantasy Baseball:  I am again running a fantasy baseball league through Yahoo.   This is an extremely chill league in the sense that it is an all points league (not head to head) and substitutions are allowed only 1 day per week.   This means you can make your changes any time you want, but they'll only take effect on one given day per week, and you must live with it for the week.  This is so that even busy players can compete.   We are using an autodraft by proxy.   I have several team spots open, so if anyone is interested, please email me!  I promise it is a lot of fun (if you are a baseball geek), and it is pretty easy.  This year, there is even a prize.


Favorite Baseball Links:
Just for fun, I've put together some links for you to enjoy, since today is baseball day at JVL.
Milwaukee Brewers Team Site
Colorado Rockies Team Site
JSonline Brewer Blog (Milwaukee Newspaper)
JSonline Brewers (slower news, but full stories and pics)
ESPN's MLB site
Rob Neyer's Sweet Spot (a great baseball geek blog)
Pitching Probables  (who is pitching when?  Check here...when the season starts)
Beat the Streak (a fun, addictive, and remarkably challenging game)
PECOTA postseason odds  (once the season starts...)
SABR (Society for American Baseball Research)
Baseball America (the authoritative news source)
The Sporting News (it isn't what it used to be, but still pretty good)
Fangraphs (a great statistical site)
Minor League Baseball (the best entertainment value out there)
Cubs Suck Club (this one needs no explanation)


Great Baseball books:  Completely off the top of my head while making lists.
Cobb: a Biography.  This one might be my favorite - the follow up to the autobiography.
The Boys of Summer.  Read it and try to not be a fan of the early 50s Dodgers.
Eight Men Out.  Extremely easy to read narrative of the Black Sox.
Working at the Ballpark:  Another favorite, because as noted, I've always wanted to....
I never had it made:  Autobiography of Jackie Robinson.  
Love me, Hate me:  If you don't hate Bonds, you will after this.
The Baseball Economist:  Using economic methods to solve baseball questions


Finally, my favorite picture that I have taken at Spring Training.


Wish I could get one like that of Ryan Braun, or a great shot of Yovanni Gallardo.  Perhaps next Spring.

1 comment:

  1. Get your butt down here to Tampa and hang out for a few days!

    ReplyDelete