01 February 2010

Chemotherapy 2 of 12 (or finished cycle 1 of 6)

The plan for my first chemotherapy was to be as tired as possible, hoping I'd be too tired to notice what was going on.  I was tired, but I knew what was going on.


The plan this time was a good night sleep.  Even with the oncologist recommended Ativan, that didn't really happen.   I had no anxiety about things, I simply couldn't sleep.   I was pretty sure I wouldn't have anticipatory nausea and vomiting, because by middle of last week, I'd forgotten what the nausea was like.


Due to appointment scheduling, I was there at 7am for labs.  I had a donut before we left the house (two, actually), and we quickly stopped for pancakes between lab and oncology.  "Substantial but not greasy" is what they recommend prior to chemo.


I was shocked my WBC was now 2.x.  Prior to the first chemo, my WBC was 16.5.  I had seriously underestimated the knockdown power of this regimen.  I didn't know what to expect, but I figured anything past the WBC dropping in half would be pretty good for the first time.  (Wow!)


After my complaints of pain due to the dacarbazine, they went from a 250cc bag to a 1 liter bag.  Additionally, they started the IV 6" up my forearm.   No pain at all.   My nurse did infuse the doxorubicin faster than my last nurse (which can cause nausea), but I haven't noticed anything unusual just yet.   Well, this is all still unusual to me, but I noticed nothing that I hadn't noticed last week.   Chemotherapy was basically uneventful.


On the way home, I was somewhat hungry.  Sarah wanted Taco Bell.  One piece of advice they have is to not eat your favorite foods around chemotherapy, or, they will no longer be your favorite foods.   Sarah LOVES Taco Bell.  I dislike it, so, I felt safe eating there.  Now, believe me when I say I know how bad this sounds.  Taco Bell + chemo = bad things.  That said, they have a new menu which is supposedly healthier - less grease, no cheese, no sauces.   I'm actually doing OK, with similar or possibly less nausea than last time.    (And, since I don't really care for Taco Bell, I won't lose it as a favorite).


I couldn't sleep, however.  I was really hoping for a nap.  I was falling asleep watching TV, but in bed, I simply couldn't sleep, and got more nauseated.   So, I sat up and did next to nothing.  Later, Sarah made me a smoothie and we watched Dexter.   (BTW, for those who didn't know, Michael C. Hall who plays "Dexter" is recently in remission for Hodgkin's Lymphoma himself).


Two down, 10 to go.

2 comments:

  1. Josh,
    Glad the dacrabzine infusion went better this time. Hopefully chemo continues to be tolerable with very little n/v.
    Take care!

    Alison and Brian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quote of the century:

    "Taco Bell + Chemo = Bad Things"

    LMAO

    ReplyDelete