26 January 2010

My drinking problem

Yes, alcohol.   No, likely not what you think, except those of you well versed in oncology.


Where does this story begin?  It starts before diagnosis.  In late November, I had purchased one of the new Coors Light "Fridge Packs."  It looked just like this, only for Coors light.  It comes to around a gallon or so, and you have about a month to finish it.  I did finish mine just about 2 days short of a month, but on my last glass, I developed a headache.  I thought nothing of it.


Days later, Sarah and I went out for dinner on Christmas Eve at Benihana as per usual.  With dinner, I ordered another Coors Light in a bottle, and by around 2/3 of the way through, my delicious tuna steak was ruined by a severe headache.  I stopped drinking, but could not figure out why I felt as though something was drilling from my left eye to the back of my head.  Driving home was very painful.  I couldn't even wear a ballcap.  I've never had a migraine.   By New Year's Eve, after my VATS surgery, Sarah made us coffee drinks which included several types of liquor.  (For those interested, it was actually great - get the recipe from her).   Yet another headache.  It was now clear I hadn't developed some weird allergy to Coors Light.  


Sarah did some research.
This was an interesting finding.
I'm not wild about the "associated with other factors generally considered to indicate an unfavorable prognosis" part, but, what can I do?  Plus, it was written some 30 years ago.  At least it explains why suddenly I can't handle a little drinking.


I actually am not a big drinker anyway.   That said, I do love a good beer from time to time.  (I do realize I twice typed about drinking Coors light.  Please keep in mind that I live in Golden.)   What to do?   I'm hoping this goes away with the disease.   In the meantime, I have had sips of wine if Sarah is having some, simply to have a taste, and without resulting headache.  But I'm not prepared to waste a full beer just to have the first couple of ounces of it.   


A solution?

Yep.  You've seen these little 7oz beauties at your local seafood joints doubling as salt and pepper shakers.   At our hotel in Mexico, it was nothing to polish off about 5 of them from the fridge before hitting the beach.


I'm not wild about Corona, but I like it.   My guess is I'll have to sit tight on IPAs for a while.  It is probably a perfect middle of the road splurge while dealing with cancer anyway.


I haven't cracked open the first one yet, but Sarah said she would be happy to split whatever I don't finish.    One of many little "solutions" I'm finding in my new life.   

3 comments:

  1. I had the same thought as you until i saw it was written in 1976. I found it curious that this has not been reported more frequently.

    I found a more updated one from 1983 that gives a guess on the MOA:

    "it is believed to result from localized swelling with stretching of the capsule of the affected lymph nodes or increased pressure in deasesed marrow that expands and produces bone pain"

    Not much of an explanation.

    I have found one article written in 2003, that simply suggests the alcohol phenomen describes more the type of lymphoma you might have, "mediastinal lymphodenopthay and nodular sclerosis hhistology."
    It didn't seem to be predictive of prognosis at all.

    I will email these to ya.

    PS I don't like Corona either. I'm more of a very cold bud light man. for imports i enjoy peroni.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Josh,
    Trust me - Corona will grow on you. I'm not sure why, but half the city of Two Rivers is hooked on it. The first time I tasted it I thought something along the lines of "is this what they mean by Montezuma's revenge?" (and no, it wasn't accompanied by any GI distress later on). But once you acquire a taste (which really doesn't take long) it's actually pretty good.

    This is also the one exception to the no fruit in the beer rule. A little slice of lime makes it very refreshing.

    -Marv

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get beer headaches sometimes after a single full beer - most commonly after an IPA. Some are worse than others but none would rise to the level of the migraine you described. Beats me.

    ReplyDelete