27 January 2010

My Drinking Problem: Part II

First off, an update:  I actually feel pretty good.  Pre-cancerous, to be truthful.  At this point, I'm solidly into my "off" week, but I have absolutely no nausea, great appetite, I'm not very tired, and I haven't dealt with fevers/chills in a while.   Really the only complaint I have is this on and off nagging pain in my left forearm and wrist, which I believe is due to the dacarbazine.  I had emailed my oncologist about it on Tuesday, and was slightly admonished, over the phone, by the oncology nurses for not calling instead.   They felt it was more important to know immediately; I could not see what could be done in the short term and thought email would suffice.  It isn't the worst pain ever, but it is nagging enough I haven't been wearing a watch.


Secondly, another update:  Tonight with homemade pizza, I had most of one of the little Coronitas.  I was not craving beer, but rather I had it in the name of junk science.  After some debate with two separate pharmacist friends, I figured I'd give it a shot.   One of them was quite curious to do the math to figure out the actual amount of alcohol it takes to create pain, but I'm not up to that (admittedly easy) math tonight.  Nor do I feel like measuring.  :)   Results:  I have no headache, but, I popped a percocet with it.  So, we probably learn nothing.  I'm feeling unbelievably relaxed right now, though.  (Go figure)   As a pharmacist, I do not condone this, just for the record.   Do as I say, I guess.


Thirdly, yet another update:  Yesterday, I had the results of my bone marrow aspirate released to me through my provider's online system.


What you are looking at on the left is an excerpt from the report.  Although I had known the results for a while, it is really nice to see in print.


Having "clean" marrow is obviously a good thing.  It is more positive for prognosis, and should I ever need a bone marrow transplant, it can be autologous.


Finally, my drinking problem, part II:  I had wondered to myself what you, the reader, might find interesting today on my cancerous journey.  One thing that came to mind was just how much in terms of fluids we have in our house right now.  I'm very impressed myself, I think Sarah and I have reached a peak in terms of beverage diversity.  This was partly by accident, partly by "impulse buy," and partly out of desperation.  Approximately half of this was from pre-chemotherapy.





This is a photograph I quickly put together representing much of our beverage diversity.  It does not represent volumes, and I have left out all wines and liquors (and many beers).  What are you looking at?
A&W Cream Soda
A&W Diet Cream Soda
Throwback Pepsi   (I just liked the old logo can)
A&W Root Beer
Capri Sun
Big K (generic) Sparking water
Capri Sun
V8 Splash
Grape Gatorade
Ruby Red Grapefruit juice
Sprecher Cream Soda
Sprecher Root Beer
Light Blue Gatorade
Boulder Cold Hop Beer
Ocean Spray Blueberry Juice
Coronita
Estes Park Brewery "Redrum Ale" - special to the Stanley Hotel.
Starbucks Light Frappucino
New Belgium Fat Tire beer
Apple Juice
Some Italian Spritzer
and finally, Skim Milk.


The obvious question is:  Why?
In learning the ropes of my new life, I was told at Chemo class there were some things I could no longer have.  Orange Juice was specifically mentioned.  During chemo, anything acidic might be problematic because you are sloughing good cells of the digestive tract.  That eliminates many sodas and my very favorite Ruby Red Grapefruit juice.   I was told to drink a lot of Gatorade around chemo.   Sarah and I thought the V8 blend as well as the blueberry and apple juice might be less acidic substitutes.  


During chemotherapy, (as noted previously), I am to drink eight 8oz cups of water.   Caffeine counts negative.  The Starbucks was purchased last week because I was so tired all the time, but it obviously counts negative, so I try to minimize.


One of the biggest problems I've had in terms of nausea is gastric distention (I need to belch).  The problem is, it is nearly impossible to.  It is really rather annoying.  As such, between that problem and the acidity of most sodas, I have not had any since starting chemotherapy, with one exception.





Ginger Ale is another little miracle in my life right now.   Obviously long known for its anti-nausea properties, Sarah bought some thinking it may help.  I tried it.  Although gross to describe, this beverage brings nearly instant relief.  So, if you happen to be hanging around me and I am either drinking it, or trying to hide a burp from you, I apologize, but let me say again:  it is some serious relief.  I have not yet  (since chemo) tried the pictured Sprecher Ginger Ale, but I suspect it will work just the same.  For those of you not familiar with Milwaukee, please allow me to plug this brewery (and gourmet soda maker) right here.  It is a little expensive (especially to ship to Colorado), but it really is one of Wisconsin's treasures.   I'm unsure if the mechanism of relief is the carbonation forcing the gastric distention to the point of finally allowing a burp, or due to the ginger itself.   I suppose my next low-grade research project will be to try a non-ginger ale soda (or maybe the sparkling water) next time I'm feeling this sensation, but safely away from a chemo session (and possible mucositis).   

4 comments:

  1. No Grapefruit juice? Woah. I'm not sure that's something I could give up.

    Ginger's been long known for it's anti nausea properties- been used in Asia for thousands of years. It's also quite good for your system- can be used as a preservative as it's known to kill things like salmonella. That said, if the Ginger Ale is too much for you, they do make ginger candies that have a similar effect, but with a much sweeter taste. You can find them at any Asian food market.

    More of a read here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always found that drinking soda helps me belch when I'm nauseous and can't otherwise. That plus sitting up perfectly straight or even standing helps deflate the stomach for me. I guess my hypothesis has always been that adding gas to the 'system' would push it over some limit and I'd finally belch and feel better. I do admit that if it doesn't work quickly it make my nausea worse. But man it makes me feel better when it works.

    -Brandon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous29/1/10 20:11

    Hey Josh,
    I've been trying to figure out what to do / say. The first thing that came to my mind was Joe Weiderholdt's book "The Write Track". Obviously, you've already figured this out but you're doing it online. Dr. Joe Cool would be proud.

    I knew you and Sarah were heading out to visit some friends this weekend. I thought "Hey send Josh some homebrew, at least." Alas, I didn't get that put together and when I mentioned it to my partner at work, she smiled and said "it's okay, Josh has a "drinking problem" anyway". Wow, no beer.

    Ginger. I love it....but it's really pretty awful in beer. However, the Ginger People make ginger chews that are about the size of a Jolly Rancher and chewy like the old JuJuBees. Great stuff. May help with the GI crap.

    I was shocked when I got the news and sad. I can only say that I wish you (and Sarah) the very best as you march through this phase in your life.

    You don't know that I ride but I do. I'm no hardcore athlete by any means but it's one of the things I like to do to clear my head. If you find yourself strong enough and interested enough to ride and need someone to boost your ego (it really won't be much of a boost), give me a call and I'll ride Lookout Mountain with you. I'm sure you'll kick my ass regardless of your condition but I'll never give up. I'm sure you won't either.

    I'll see you at the top of the Mountain!!!!!!!!

    Best wishes and Godspeed.

    Regards,
    n8

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous30/1/10 12:37

    Need some ginger candy? I have some if you want to try them.

    ReplyDelete