19 July 2010

One Fun Thing: Riding bikes with Lance Armstrong

A good friend of ours sent us this info regarding an event during a weekend we were already planning on spending in the area.




Needless to say, I was pretty interested.   The event details can be found here at Ride 4 Yellow.  So, what about the ride?   The description, from the website, is as follows:
The Divide Trail is an epic Rocky Mountain single track ride following the Continental Divide that will be supported with aid stations and support on course. 
This is a non-competitive ride and the trail is suitable for a wide range of abilities. However, this ride is not recommended for inexperienced mountain bikers. The Divide trail is a challenging but not extreme single track trail. At just under 26 miles, riders will experience moderate to difficult terrain. The ride ends with a fun descent from the top of the Steamboat ski mountain.
If you’ve ever wanted to do this ride now is the time. We’ll have an aid station at Long Lake (approx. 1/2 way) plus support on the course.
As I've posted, I have recently purchased a new mountain bike.  I've been trying to hit the trails pretty hard, and I've had some friends act as great mentors in showing me the ropes.  Still, "challenging" and "moderate to difficult terrain" and "not for inexperienced mountain bikers" are fairly clear warnings.  Despite this, it is not an opportunity I wanted to miss, for obvious reasons.


Moreover, I've been wanting to do this race next year, or possibly even this one.  (The latter would be what we call a "stretch goal" at work).  So a 26 mile ride seems like a great start, and certainly no slouch of a mountain bike ride.  This past weekend's Fat Tire Classic was a great starting point as a test of theory.


What does the course look like?   The photos look gorgeous.  The profile, however, looks a bit scary.  
I'm liking everything up to about mile 16.  Beyond that is what makes me most nervous.  I am terrified of the downhill.   So, what we've established is that we have a challenging course, a big downhill, and a cancer survivor who should be right at the end of his radiation treatment.   Sounds like a recipe for success, right? 


Absolutely no doubt about it, this will be a challenge for me.  Another mountain to climb, so to speak, although more literal in this case than the ones I've had in my lymphoma battle.  Given the circumstances, I'll be doing everything in my power to channel my best Jens Voight.  (Shut up legs!!!)




What else?   Lance's mom will be the keynote speaker at the event celebration.   All of the proceeds from the event will go towards fighting cancer or benefitting those fighting:  Half will go to Livestrong and the other half will go to the LOCAL community of Steamboat Springs for cancer related services. 


In order to do the ride with Lance, you need to raise $500.   I am not soliciting donations.  I've already donated the entire amount myself.  I'm extremely touched and pleased by everyone's generosity towards the Leukemia and Lymphoma society as so many have donated to Dave's Ride for Josh, such that he has achieved 150% of his goal in fundraising.   


However, Livestrong and a local cancer project is still obviously a great cause.  The former is as near and dear to me as LLS, and so if anyone is compelled to give to fight cancer (or seeking to decrease their tax burden), that link is here.  


It is extremely likely I won't even see Lance Armstrong himself.  Besides having a lot of handlers, he'll be at the front, and I'll be off the back immediately.  Despite this, I'm very excited as I anticipate this to be a very cool experience, and certainly one very fun thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment