19 July 2010

One Fun Thing: Fat Tire Classic

In an attempt to balance not boring-up this blog as well as still indicating that I am, in fact, doing fun things and living my reclaimed life, I'll try to concisely post about a few fun things as I can.


This past weekend was the Fat Tire Classic up in Winter Park, Colorado. 


We went up Friday night and got there around 8pm.  By the time we were checked in and got the dogs and bikes into the hotel it was almost 9pm, but we did manage to order a couple of salads from the restaurant and bar in the hotel.


Our hotel was great.  We stayed at the Winter Park Mountain Lodge.  
This was a great hotel because (as noted) they let you bring your bikes and dogs into the room, and it was relatively inexpensive, and they had a decent bar / restaurant, although apparently their microbrews left a little to be desired.

The Fat Tire Classic was fun.  We went with some friends from work, and rode the trails on Saturday, seen here.
I'm told we rode around 33 miles with just over 3000 feet of climbing after being out for just about 4.5 hours or so, including stops at the aid stations and some sight seeing and a mechanical.  That was easily the longest I've been in the saddle this year, and it felt great but at the end I was quite spent.  While I did that, Sarah took Lucy on a nice long hike and got her into the stream a few times.

The next day, two friends did some downhill runs, but I was pretty tired and could hardly bike at all.  So, I did a little ride into town with Sarah and back.   We got back into Denver with plenty of time to watch the day's Tour de France stage.

The weekend ended with us having dinner with a friend.   All in all a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment