05 April 2010

Why I'm not really looking forward to summer

Summer has always been my favorite season.  When I was a kid, it was long days filled with hours of Nintendo, all the pepsi I could drink, and baseball games out in the street if not pickup basketball.  Now it means longer sunshine, and the opportunity to get out and exercise.   It means outdoor meals.  It means relaxing at baseball games.  


For the first time, I'm really not looking forward to summer as much.  One of the problems with cancers and chemotherapy is how sensitive it makes your skin to the sun.  As it is, I took Lucy on a walk shy of 2 miles, and in that short amount of time, I had some burn despite cap, sunglasses, and long sleeve t-shirt.


So, over the past week, I've been contemplating a whole summer in the shadows.  Waiting until evening to bike.  Or a whole summer on the trainer.  Trying to watch baseball from the indoor part of the club level or exclusively night games.  Dog walks before dawn.  Hiking only in thick forests.  Spending an entire camping trip in the tent or screened in kitchen.  It wasn't really sounding good to me, obviously.  To further complicate my boo-hoos about it, this goes on for a year after remission, which will likely include next summer as well.


Sarah has already yelled at me about sunscreen, and I'll say right here how much I hate the stuff.  It is a constant fight to use it, and usually I don't.  I'm used to going out for long hours all summer long without it, going all the way back into my childhood.  (Yeah, I'm probably likely to move from blood cancers into skin cancer).


With the help of the bicycle buddies, I made two purchases tonight.   The first is a sunscreen recommendation seen here and here.  I also ordered sleeves and legs for cycling.  I really do not wish to wear these, but, I'm seeing no other alternative.   On the upside, though, that should be some decent protection for at least one outdoor activity, and if the sunscreen is as good as advertised, maybe all of them.  





No comments:

Post a Comment