13 April 2010

Chemo 7 of 12 (Beginning 4th cycle)

Yesterday was a long day.  It was my 7th of 12 chemotherapy sessions.  We dropped off Lucy at doggie day care.   Next, I wanted to get there early for a blood draw.  Probably I should have had it done in the cancer center, and I'll get to why more, but one reason is that I was unimpressed with the rookie's sterile technique.


I was scheduled for a nurse practitioner visit.   I have a physician or NP visit every other session.  Honestly, I'm not sure why we had to see her, I had absolutely no questions, myself.  Neither did Sarah, really.   This was a new NP for us.  One thing she noted was no breath sounds in my left lower lobe.  That was interesting, especially coupled with my low (for me) pulseox.  I was at 96%, which is very normal for Colorado, but lower than normal for me.   My oncologist had never previously noted this.  So, she ordered a chest x-ray and downstairs I immediately went.   While waiting for the results of that, I went up to start my infusions.  Sarah had asked if this lung thing could be the bleomycin, but the NP assured us that this was not how bleomycin toxicity manifests.


My ANC was 500.  This was higher than usual for me.  


Another snag was hit when my port appeared to be somewhat clotted.  The nurse asked if they locked it with heparin last time, but of course I couldn't recall.   So, she tried a few tricks to get it to "backflow."  None of the simple things worked, so she ordered up some Cathflo.  That still didn't work perfectly, so she started a peripheral IV for the pre-meds.  Unfortunately, this was actually a little painful since she hit the spot the phlebotomist had hit earlier.   By the time she finished that, the Cathflo had still not gotten the port fully flowing both ways.  "In" was easy, but "out" was not.


It was hard not to be a little frustrated at this point between the breath sounds and the port and the lengthening day.  The nurse asked if I'd like to start my chemo through the peripheral line while she gave me another dose of Cathflo.  I had agreed both were good ideas.  The only medication I did NOT want peripherally was the DTIC.  


It was already turning out to be a long day.  Chemotherapy day is always unpleasant, and an easy way to make it worse is to make it longer.  I tried to eat a big breakfast (3 instant oatmeal packets!) but eventually got hungry.  Being hungry during chemo is slightly worse than eating in chemo.  Sarah got me a Chicken Caesar Salad wrap and a coke, but I could only have a some of each.  Sleep = no nausea + no funky smells.  (It is amazing how chemo or cancer sharpens your sense of smell).


Finally, the Cathflo worked and just in time for the DTIC.   By this time I was in my total "Chemo stun and fog" phase.   I slept through most of this last infusion.  Actually, I slept a bunch yesterday.  We had packed two movies to watch, but never touched them, despite my best intentions to.  I really think sleeping through chemo is a decent way to take it.  So, I don't even fight that anymore.


We finally finished around 4pm.  This was a long day, since we started before 10am.   I got home and took a nap.   After two hours, I woke up for a ice cream popsicle and some cheese and some milk.   Then, of course, I couldn't get back to sleep until about midnight.


Today, I woke up in my usual post chemo fog.  It is difficult to describe.  It is really like being kicked or stunned or something.  No pain, just an odd partial disorientation.  My brain just works a little more slowly, and I'm a little more tired and dizzy.  I usually watch some TV or something.  Today, I had a few minor 5 minute chores, and of course they took all morning.  I had meant to try a little bowflex in the morning, and I didn't get to that until around 2pm.   I skipped breakfast, but had some veggie chicken nuggets for lunch.   I surfed the internet mindlessly for a while.  Then I watched some TV again.   Finally, Sarah and I watched a movie this evening.  I really haven't left the basement all day.


The rest of tonight will be relaxing with some DVR'd cycling, and I bought a few baseball card packets to open today for a little distraction.   I do feel better tonight, though.  I'll feel OK in the morning, worse by evening, and then be nauseated and exhausted by Thursday.   I'm through 7 of 12, though, and that's another step.

1 comment:

  1. congrats on getting to the short side of treatment Josh!

    ReplyDelete