11 April 2010

An interesting postscript

Since ordering my new t-shirt, Trevor "Lights Out" Hoffman has blown TWO (of 2) save opportunities.  Unbelievable.  For those of you into irony, tonight he faced Albert "0 for lifetime" Pujols, who subsequently took him deep with a man on base.  Still, that wasn't the blown save since Milwaukee was up by 3, at least until Matt Holliday (next batter) hit a home run as well.   Luckily, although Trevor didn't get the save, he did get the win with a Casey McGehee walk off home run.   All this is wonderful, but Cardinals pitcher Chris Carpenter is on my fantasy team, and he contributed a -22, to combine with the rest of my slumping team.   Hopefully next week looks up.    


This is not a baseball blog, however, and so here is the news on me:


I rode up Lookout Mountain on Saturday.  It was cold and painful, and a very difficult ride for me, but I'm glad I went.  My time up was still pretty bad, but much improved from the last time I did it just prior to chemo on the mountain bike.  I'll keep working from here.  I have no expectations to get back to where I "should be" this summer, but hopefully just keep improving from here.   Realistically, just getting out there feels huge to me.   I also had energy to play Wii "Punch Out" which is something I haven't been able to play in forever, just due to the "workout" it is swinging your arms around.  (I guess I get pretty into it).  


Today, Sarah and I went to the Rockies/Padres game at Coors Field.  What was really nice about this, other than it being a fun game to watch, was that the weather was perfect, and we had seats in the shade the entire game!  So, sun sensitivity wasn't an issue.  Just a great relaxing day.   We also got to take the dogs on a nice long walk.


One curious thing I've noted is the anticipatory nausea.  I figured I might be susceptible to this, even prior to starting chemotherapy.  (My HS football coach told me I was the biggest head case he'd ever coached).  It is real, though.  Even walking to that building for a non-cancer reason starts me off a little.  One oncology pharmacist told me that it could maintain for years, and he'd heard stories of patients running into oncology nurses at the supermarket and throwing up.  (Wow!)  Mine isn't that bad.  It isn't even truly nausea per se so much as a weird aura.  I usually get it Sunday nights before chemo.  (It isn't so bad right now, but I had it earlier today during a lull in the game).  This past week I had it by Friday.  That was the earliest I've had it yet.  It just basically is an altered taste/hunger sensation.   I was hungry, but nothing sounded good.  Just a curiosity, I guess.


I should say yet again that the nausea has been far, far better than I ever expected.  When I was first diagnosed, I planned on buying a dry-erase board for my bathroom to track vomit.  As it turns out, I have yet to throw up.   Despite unbelievably powerful anti-nausea medicine, this surprises me even now, considering how easily I can vomit.  Don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful.


Nothing else new beyond that.  Tomorrow is session 7/12, or the beginning of my 4th cycle.  It really is nice to be past the halfway point, at least for the chemo part.   Hope everyone has a great week.

1 comment:

  1. Interesting to hear about Anticipatory Nausea. Is that something one could get in other situations you think?

    ReplyDelete