11 August 2010

Ride 4 Yellow, Part 1: Josh

As noted in a previous post, this past weekend I did the "Ride the Divide" course as part of the Ride 4 Yellow event in Steamboat Springs.  This was nothing short of an amazing event.  I was very excited to be a part of it from when a friend first told me about it. Certainly the fact that Lance Armstrong would be there is a draw, but so is any event associated with Livestrong, even if he doesn't come.

I linked to the course profile in a previous post.  "Ride the Divide" is 26 miles with a couple thousand feet of climbing.   On a road bike, that's an average after-work ride.  On a mountain bike, riding a technical trail, somewhere above 9,000 feet, that's not so easy anymore.  This ride had some of the most amazing views I've ever seen.

The event actually started August 7th with packet pick-up.   This ride had easily the best packet I've ever gotten.  The T-shirt is awesome (it is a "tech-t-shirt" with the ride logo).
While waiting in line, a volunteer came by with more goodies, the coolest of which were yellow hats from previous TdF's which Lance had won.  There were several types available, but I picked a 2003 US Postal team hat.
Also in the bag was a livestrong bracelet, an event sticker, postcards for future events and advertisements, a pair of yellow "Ride 4 Yellow" chums, a bag tag, some Honey Stinger gel and a bar, and a yellow "Ride 4 Yellow" toothbrush.  Now even my toothbrush fights cancer.  Also given away in the line were some yellow and black socks bearing the logo of the local cycling club.

The next morning started early, with us waking up before 5am.  Fuel consisted of Red Bull and Larabars.  I also had a Honey Stinger bar to support the local company right there in Steamboat.
All of the riders were shuttled to the top of the pass on big tour buses.
It was a long drive up, but once there, it was clear that this was where the event was starting.  People were everywhere and our bikes (dropped off the night before) were waiting for us.

Almost immediately I found Sarah and our friend Scott, from Milwaukee.
I was really excited that I was going to be able to ride with Scott.  I've ridden with him before, he is a great rider, and he and his wife have been a big source of support for Sarah and I.

Before the ride, a couple of fairly famous cyclists walked right past us and gave a small speech each.

Really, they walked right past us as in less than an arm's length.  Both times I was surprised despite expecting it. First, Dave Weins' bike is unmistakable, and I recognized that before I recognized him.  After that, it is hard to miss a Radioshack full kit walking right past you, moving with a purpose.
Also pictured (To Lance's right) is Governor Bill Ritter who also gave a humorous speech.  Obviously, Lance Armstrong and Dave Weins rode first.   After that, the riders went out in waves.
It was here at the very start where I got to meet event organizer Dave Nagel who treated Sarah like a VIP.  He is pictured to my far right, and below with Sarah.
I cannot say enough good things about the "Ride 4 Yellow" staff and organizers.  

The ride itself wasn't easy.  We started on a fast fire road.
It didn't take long to get into the singletrack, though.  Shortly after a few climbs, we had a few moments where we got to "cyclocross" it.
I wasn't alone.  Here's a picture of some better riders doing it much earlier than I at the exact same spot.  When I'd heard about that, I didn't feel so bad for not attempting to ride through that stuff.
The ride was very well supported with many volunteers along the way and a couple of aid stations.  There was even a helicopter keeping watch.
The views from the top were spectacular.
So we had to stop for a few pictures.
This is what speed looks like:
For those interested, Lance rode a hard tail, carbon fiber Trek (2011 GF collection?) 29er with Sram XX components.  Armstrong and Weins were finished in about 2 hours.  It took Scott and I just over 4 hours to finish.

The finish wasn't technically at the bottom but rather at the top of the Gondola.  This is where the party was.  Sarah was there to meet me at the finish as well as capture pictures of the last little drop into the party area.

Here, Scott and I crossed the finish line.

After this was lunch, which was terrific.  Dave Nagel, the event director highlighted the top 10 fundraisers, and a few shared their story, which is always special.

The keynote speaker was Lance Armstrong's mom, Linda Armstrong Kelly, introduced by Dave Weins, who also spoke again.  

She is an excellent public speaker.  I think she may have talked for 25 minutes.  She had a lot of great points, good stories, a few laughs, and there were a few moments where I felt like I was getting a little teared up.  It is weird, since everyone in the room knew her story and Lance's, but the way she tells it really hits anew, and probably more so if it is something you can directly identify with, which I'm sure virtually everyone can.  For me it was the chemo stories.  For Sarah, I suspect it was the role of the caregiver.


Obviously she got a standing ovation when she finished.  Her message was positive and uplifting and the audience responded.

The final event of the day was an auction which was hosted by Verne Lundquist, who makes his home in Steamboat Springs.
That was largely the end of the event, other than the well-wishes and goodbyes.  After that, Scott and I rode down the rest of the mountain to the base into Steamboat Springs.

The whole day was a great experience, and I cannot wait to go back again next year.


1 comment:

  1. Awesome stuff, Josh! I'm glad you had a great time and got to participate in that.

    ReplyDelete