01 August 2010

One Important / Interesting Thing

It has been almost 3 weeks since I was told my PET scan was clean, a "complete response," and that I am in remission.  Since that time I have been on a tear to do fun things.   


One of the thoughts that has commanded much of my attention is the idea that I have been given a tremendous gift.  This doesn't take much thought at all, but what does occupy time is trying to decide what to do with this gift.  I think I have alluded to this struggle a little bit before on this blog.  Do I live for fun?  Should I make many little changes or a big change in life?   Is this simply the end of a chemistry experiment gone initially bad, and then improved with chemotherapy?   


This weekend I was reminded that what I am wrestling with is commonly called, in cancer circles, the "Obligation of the Cured."   Cured is an interesting word.  It is not one that I can apply to myself just yet, or rather, not one that an oncologist would apply to me.  There are various milestones in time that must be achieved first.   Still, when I got this reminder, it very much hit home that this is exactly what I've been thinking about.   I don't think I'll ever be held accountable, and yet I cannot imagine ever explaining to anyone how or why I may have ignored this.   This is especially serious considering the support and advice I was given from a fellow survivor that I have blogged about previously.


What is the best way to "pay this forward?"   I certainly do not have an answer yet.  I definitely appreciate, as just mentioned, all the direct support I've been given, and not just by Hoss but by many others, many who haven't had cancer.  As a result, I've been on the lookout for ideas.


I've spent some time thinking about Imerman's Angels, the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, and Livestrong.  I've mentioned the latter two as two particular organizations that have directly helped me.


This weekend Sarah and I attended a Livestrong University workshop.   I was hesitant to go, and I think Sarah even more so.  You can read what the plan for these are on that link, but I've copied it here:
LIVESTRONG Action Workshops will focus on providing the foundational skills needed for advocates to lead the fight against cancer in their communities. Advocates will learn how to meaningfully communicate with decision makers, gain the attention of the local media and utilize their stories to put a “human face” on the cancer crisis. Workshops are dynamic and interactive, giving advocates the opportunity to build new relationships and utilize their skills to immediately affect change at a local, state, national and global level.
I wasn't sure if this is what I wanted to do, but I wanted to explore the idea.  It seemed like a lucky coincidence that I found out about this workshop two days prior to it occurring.


The workshop was more powerful than I expected.  We worked on sharing our story.  Mine is well outlined and documented here on this blog, and yet it wasn't easy putting it into a 2-4 minute presentation with a goal of convincing someone to do something.  There were many stories, and all were great.  They highlighted a variety of backgrounds and experiences.  


One of the key things I realized about myself while sharing my story was how uninvolved I was prior to this.  I had thought about trying to help one of these organizations, but beyond financially, I never have.  I don't know why.  I guess I didn't know where, or how, or if I even should if I haven't been directly affected.  (I should have.)  Given the number of people I've known with cancer this seems odd, but I didn't have it myself.  Truthfully, it also partly seemed like an exclusive club you didn't want to be in.  Would I be suspect for trying to join without the "proper credentials?"   I can now assure each and every reader having since obtained the "proper credentials" - NO one will be suspect of motives.  


I called this "One Important / Interesting Thing."  It actually also qualifies as "One Fun Thing" as well, but it seems so much more important than a trip to the aquarium or monster truck show.


In short, we met some very great people, including our moderator from Livestrong in Austin.  We discovered there are many ways to get involved, and I really hope to do more as I can and as I become more connected.   So, look for more on that front over time.  In the meantime, if anyone is looking for a jumping off point to get involved themselves, I have some great links above......

No comments:

Post a Comment