18 October 2010

"What is the one thing you want to do when you get better?"

This was a question I was asked many times.  Most of those were from Sarah.  I think she was anticipating a trip to Europe or Hawaii or somewhere like that, but the first time I answered it, I could see in her face she was quite surprised.


"I want to go to a Packer game at Lambeau."


We can do that, but don't you want to go to Europe or Hawaii or somewhere?


"I want to go to a Packer game at Lambeau.  I want to see a win, too."


So, that's what we did.  We looked at the schedule and picked an early October game against the lowly Detroit Lions which we thought would fit the bill.  Sarah and I drove up and met my parents, her parents, and our good friends Dave and Marv for a Packer game.  Prior to the game, we went to the Packer Fan Tours tailgate party at Brett Favre's Steakhouse.  Actually, the BF steakhouse parking lot.  It was great.
Who wants a 9am beer?
Blood Marys were also available for the health-conscious.  They also had one of the "premier" DJs of the area.  I guess.
GREENMAN!!!!
Maybe we'll take a few for the road.
Going to Lambeau is like no other sporting event that I know of.  I am sure I could not accurately or adequately describe it.
Within minutes of sitting down and watching the coin toss,
Aaron Rodgers flipped a pass to Donald Driver for a touchdown and Lambeau leap.  This exact sequence is what I had wanted to see for months.
Just like that the Packers took the lead.  Donald Driver, Greg Jennings, and Jermichael Finley all caught passes for touchdowns and all took Lambeau leaps.  Especially nice was that all three are on my fantasy football team, and Aaron Rodgers is on Dave's.  (Marv remains ahead of both of us).  The game wasn't the blowout I had expected or hoped for, though.  The Lions fought making it more exciting than it had to be.  

Charles Woodson came through with a clutch interception and ran it back to help out, though.  Here he is diving into the endzone.
Here is a neat shot of the line blocking for Kuhn on the final drive to put the game away.
It ended up being a terrific game, and I had a blast.  The packers have since fallen apart somewhat, but that does not take away what a great trip we had.

Just a few more pictures, the day before the game, we visited the Packers Hall of Fame and ate at Curly's.  Some old uniforms, important game balls, Donald Driver's uniform from a record setting catch, a picture of us, and one of the Lombardi trophies, as well as some championship rings.
A huge Thank You to Marv, Dave, Sarah, and out parents for all coming to make this such a special day for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment