18 October 2010

Livestrong Day update

Haven't posted in a while, but I've been pretty busy.  A few fun posts coming up.  I am several fun things behind.


Today is the update on what Sarah and I did for Livestrong Day.  As noted, we were going to run where we did in college.  So, a few weekends back we did stop to visit the campus, which is near the capitol building.
We also walked around to see a few familiar spots on campus.  Hello, Bucky!
If any of you get a chance, do ask Sarah what happens in this building:
This one is easy to figure out:
Bascom:
Weird being back.  So much had changed.   Some things hadn't.
Obviously, we had a beer at the union.


Our run was going to go down lakeshore path to picnic point starting from the union.
Lakeshore path:
Picnic point (in the distance, as viewed from up by Elizabeth Waters Hall):


Let's stop and back up 12 years, shall we?  Our first date:  Sarah and I were sitting in biostatistics class.  This class wasn't so much learning as social / study hall.  She asked what I was doing that afternoon.  Same as always, running at the SERF.  She asked why I didn't come down and run lakeshore path by her.  The reason is because it was farther, and the SERF is climate controlled with a nice soft track.  (Not to mention a view of 100 girls doing aerobics and loud music).  Sarah convinced me we'd run lakeshore. So, I pick her up and we walk down to the path to run.  Two blocks later, she is tired of running.  Just like that, my workout was over, and I knew I'd be going to the SERF anyway.  However, we did arrange to go see a movie later.  Isn't that sweet?


This time, the tables were turned.  She left me in her dust and I was sucking wind hard.  She beat me to both picnic point, and then back to the union on Livestrong Day.  Uncool.  She even got there fast enough to get a picture of me in pain.
"Oh yay!  Happy Livestrong day!"  
But, the views were as nice as we remembered.
I don't even know how far this run is, so, I had to check it on mapmyrun.com.  (Turns out it is about 5.2 or 5.3 miles round trip.  Obviously, we stopped halfway for pictures).  As noted, she beat me back as well.  That was a little bit of a new experience for me, but I was very proud of how well she ran.
She seemed very happy with herself afterwards and said how great it all felt and how she was very proud to be in much better shape now than college.
Strong work, Sarah.


Also during our time in Madison, we had the opportunity to have dinner with some good friends of ours, as well as their three kids, two of which are infant twins.  I even got to hold both.   All of this at the Nitty Gritty, which was always my favorite bar/restaurant in college.


So, it was pretty fun to visit Madison again.  Definitely one of many fun things during that trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment