16 March 2010

Chemotherapy (5 of 12): 2.5 of 6 cycles done

Wow.  Yesterday hit me hard.  I got a full 8 hours of sleep Sunday night, which is somewhat unusual for me.  I went in early to have my blood drawn peripherally, rather than through the port.  (Yes, this was my decision and oncology doesn't understand it).  Then I met with the oncologist and most of the discussion was dominated by talking about radiation oncology, and the new port.  This was actually fine, I couldn't think up anything else I wanted to know, short of whether or not I could now lift above my head with the new Bowflex, now that I have a port instead of a hohn.  (I cannot, btw).


So, on to chemo.  I had chemo through my new port, and that went fine.  I didn't get to eat before chemo and started getting sick. So Sarah ran to safeway for ginger ale and a sandwich.  She asked what I wanted and I decided on a prepackaged sandwich. I already hate ham and cheese, so I told her to go for that, since I knew I'd eventually not care for whatever I ate.  I took two bites, brushed up against a pickle (insta-hurl) and I was done.  made do with a small bag of cheetos.  Man, I hate pickles.  


After that I fell asleep for the rest of the session.  Apparently I fell asleep part of last session too, although I didn't believe Sarah at first when she told me.  So, that was several hours of sleep.   When I got home, I slept a few more hours.   It was a struggle to stay awake last evening.


When it was actually night, however, I couldn't sleep well at all, despite Ambien.  I don't think I got too much sleep, though, I was exhausted.  I didn't work today, and I did take two more naps.  In between that I watched two Spring Training games (well, parts of) on MLB network.  I'm just amazed at how hard this session hit me.  Maybe because my ANC is 200?  Maybe my nutrition hasn't been good enough?  I sort of doubt both.  We've been working on healthy meals.  I'm definitely behind in my fluid intake recommendations, but I always am (even pre-cancer).


One piece of advice I got from a colleague who's close friend had just gone through Hodgkin's said sometimes you just have to "Embrace the suck."  I guess that's what I did today.  Sarah said some days I'd be really tired and there is little point in fighting it.  So, I did lay around much of today in the hopes I have renewed energy for work tomorrow.  That's the plan anyway.

2 comments:

  1. closing in on halfway; way to go! I'll be sure to cross pickles off the gift list for post treatment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, sounds like a tough day. But you're doing the hard work to get better so hold onto that thought. Susan has always said I'm a bit of a stoic Yankee (I grew up in Massachusetts) and that I think that hard work is good for the soul. So sounds like you had a bit of soul building this week! Glad to hear that the port helped with the administration of the chemo, too.

    ReplyDelete